"MOVE, goddammit!! It's your turn to move! God, why are you such an idiot?"
"Just look at her, squirming all over the place. Why'd she even join in the first place, anyway?"
"Marie dear, perhaps it would be better for you to...be in the back row, this time."
I know I'm not talented. I'm not as flexible as Shea, or as pretty and graceful as Tiana. I dance like a baby elephant who just learned how to walk, and I maybe even weigh the same as one. I stumbled around so much my legs are still bruised three weeks after a practice. And that's why I hate ballet class.
Unfortunately, getting out is not really an option for me. My mother will not stop until she can mold me into a ballerina like she was. To her desperation, that's not an easy feat. She has this image of a girl who's beautiful and smart and talented; the girl who amazes people with her pirouettes and grand jetes. Instead she gets someone who takes after the husband she so despised: fat, acne prone, and possesses the flexibility of a stick. So she does everything she can with everything she has. And her methods aren't always...nice.
That's why, even if I hate ballet, there are days when I'm glad I have an excuse for the bruises. Whenever my friends ask, I sigh and rant about how stupid ballet is. Out of earshot of certain people who also take ballet classes, of course. Things get worse if they know.
WC: 256
"Just look at her, squirming all over the place. Why'd she even join in the first place, anyway?"
"Marie dear, perhaps it would be better for you to...be in the back row, this time."
I know I'm not talented. I'm not as flexible as Shea, or as pretty and graceful as Tiana. I dance like a baby elephant who just learned how to walk, and I maybe even weigh the same as one. I stumbled around so much my legs are still bruised three weeks after a practice. And that's why I hate ballet class.
Unfortunately, getting out is not really an option for me. My mother will not stop until she can mold me into a ballerina like she was. To her desperation, that's not an easy feat. She has this image of a girl who's beautiful and smart and talented; the girl who amazes people with her pirouettes and grand jetes. Instead she gets someone who takes after the husband she so despised: fat, acne prone, and possesses the flexibility of a stick. So she does everything she can with everything she has. And her methods aren't always...nice.
That's why, even if I hate ballet, there are days when I'm glad I have an excuse for the bruises. Whenever my friends ask, I sigh and rant about how stupid ballet is. Out of earshot of certain people who also take ballet classes, of course. Things get worse if they know.
WC: 256
Comments
Post a Comment