He's always there.
It doesn't matter where we are. The adults can't see him, he's too good at hiding from them. But us kids can. Occasionally he would smile and laugh our way before disappearing. Sometimes he would point towards us and whisper to the air. I might be hallucinating, but I swear I saw something sparkly buzzing around his ear.
At night, the wind blows hard, and windows keep opening themselves. The orphanage's headmistress got so annoyed at first, and tried to nail them down. It didn't work, and eventually we got used to it. Once, I woke up at midnight, and saw him flying around the room chasing his shadow. I helped by pinning it with a dart. He looked at me and smiled, and pulled the shadow out of the room. I remember wondering whether my shadow can fly away as well and spent the next day keeping an eye on it. They all thought I was weird.
I'm turning 14, and he comes less often. I'm afraid I'll stop being able to see soon. So the next time I saw him, I grabbed his sleeve, tightly, and begged him to take me with him.
"You're almost an adult."
"Please, I don't care, I still believe. Take me outta here."
He sighed.
"Tink! C'mere!"
Something sparkly flew towards me and dropped sparkly dust all over.
"Think happy thoughts....attaboy. Now let's go!"
He starts pulling me towards the window.
"But where are we going?"
"Neverland, of course."
WC: 249
"You're almost an adult."
"Please, I don't care, I still believe. Take me outta here."
He sighed.
"Tink! C'mere!"
Something sparkly flew towards me and dropped sparkly dust all over.
"Think happy thoughts....attaboy. Now let's go!"
He starts pulling me towards the window.
"But where are we going?"
"Neverland, of course."
WC: 249
Comments
Post a Comment